LACHSA’s gifted youth are the ones who will build the future of dance, music, theatre, visual arts, musical theatre, and film, as the school’s alumni are doing today. The following is just a small list of alumni accomplishments:
- Josh Groban’s 2008 Christmas CD Noel sold more copies throughout the world than any other in Christmas recording in history (surpassing even Elvis Presley). In 2012, Josh did a benefit concert at Disney Hall for LACHSA.
- Actress Jenna Elfman starred in her second television series, Accidentally on Purpose (Dharma & Greg was her first).
- Anthony Anderson is a regular cast member on Law & Order, as was MacKensie Westmore on Passions.
- Jazz pianist Gerald Clayton was nominated for a GRAMMY in 2010.
- Josefina Lopez is the most published Latina playwright in the United States. She started by to write Real Women Have Curves—which won the top prize at Sundance Film Festival and was made into an HBO movie—when she was still a student at Arts High.
- Matthew Rushing’s position as principal dancer with the Alvin Ailey Dance Theatre of America has delighted audiences around the world every year since his graduation in 1994. He is considered one of the greatest modern dancers of his generation!
- Visual Artist Kehinde Wiley’s portraits of African Americans were put on exhibition in the National Portrait Gallery in Washington D.C. He is currently one of the most financially successful visual artists in the field.